Re: backup method

From: Han Boetes
Subject: Re: backup method
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 23:52:37 +0100

Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> I believe that the correct solution in this particular case is
> to make `normal-backup-enable-predicate' use a customizable list
> of directories in which no backups are made, say
> `no-backup-directories'.
> We could then tell people that if they want remove "/temp/" or
> equivalent from the list, they should set `backup-by-copying' to
> t, or we could use a second customizable variable
> `backup-by-copying-directories', to unlink the two problems (at
> least in this particular case).

Well at least we got a clearer picture of what the problem is. But
let me bring some additional factors in to make it even more
complicated.

/tmp is word-writable

Ow yes... It's trivial to setup a little script that checks for
tmpfiles from cron and other software and then make symlinks to
the backupfiles from the editor and get nice copies of whatever is
in them.

So I suggest not making backupfiles in world-writable directories.
At least not in the world-writable directory itself. I setup
~/.tmp/backups as my backups dir here.

Another thing to improve is that if ~/.tmp/backups doesn't exist
it is created with permissions defined by umask.

~% ls -ld ~/.tmp/backups
drwxr-xr-x  2 han users 4096 jan 29 16:57 /mega/home/han/.tmp/backups/

IMHO it would be better if that directory was created with 700
permissions.

# Han