Re: New undo element (fun . args)

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: New undo element (fun . args)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:11:21 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> To fix both of these problems, I suggest to change the format to:
>>>
>>> (apply FUN ARGS BEG . END)
>
>> How about:
>
>>    (apply FUN BEG END . ARGS)
>
>> Seems more natural...
>
> 100% agreement.  I even suggest we pass the BEG and END args to FUN.
> I.e. basically keep the current setup, except require the first 2 args to be
> BEG and END.

Elaborating on my previous proposal, I think the format should be

  (apply FUN INFO . ARGS)

where INFO is either nil (if undo-in-region is not supported), or
(START END . DELTA) if it is.

This makes it easier to handle cases where the extra information is
not needed (e.g. for ses.el), specifically FUN needs just one extra
arg rather than three, and it is sufficient to specify nil for INFO.