Re: backup method

From: Han Boetes
Subject: Re: backup method
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:51:46 +0059

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Han Boetes wrote:
> > So I suggest not making backupfiles in world-writable
> > directories.
>
> Agreed. It's a security hole since the backup file name is
> predictable.
>
> > At least not in the world-writable directory itself. I setup
> > ~/.tmp/backups as my backups dir here.
>
> Of course the deciding factor is whether the directory where the
> backup file will be put is world-writable.

Of course this problem applies to multiple editors. I also
mentioned this problem to the OpenBSD-project regarding ``mg'' a
mini emacs-clone. And they also recognized the problem. Todd
Miller had the following to say:

Todd Miller wrote:
> I don't think this is the best way to do it. I think what we
> really want is to use mkstemp() to create the temp file and then
> just rename() it to the predictable name. If the rename fails,
> we know someone is trying to attach us. If not, we are safe.

Which is of course an elegant way to solve the whole business.

Check this URL for the whole thread:

# Han