RE: Customize buttons that change user's custom file shouldaskforconfirm

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Customize buttons that change user's custom file shouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:37:53 -0800

       ... Another possibility to consider for this might be "Installed
       Values" (or "Stock Values").

    "Stock Values" is best.  It will cause me to ask, `what is meant by
    "stock values" ... ?'

    Like anyone who is not a novice Emacs person, I follow the convention
    and set values in my .emacs file.  Only for features that I do not
    understand, like fonts, do I use customize.  And, of course when I
    realize I made a mistake and can see a better face, I change the
    customized values that I have set within my .emacs file by
    `custom-set-faces'.

    Asking what is meant by "stock values" is worthwhile for people who
    have used Emacs for two decades or more -- for example, off hand, I
    cannot remember whether `customize' considers stock values to be those
    you see with `emacs -Q' or whether it uses the previously set values.
    And the phrase is harmless to novices.

IIUC, the "standard" (stock, or whatever) values are those defined by
defcustom and defface; that's all - the values according to "the spec" (Spec
Values? Defined Values?).

This term does not determine a particular set of options; it refers only to
a particular kind of value for an option - any option. Emacs -Q just uses a
minimal set of libraries and features, so a minimal set of options. Standard
values apply to defcustoms and deffaces from all libraries.