Re: When are toolkit file dialogs used?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: When are toolkit file dialogs used?
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:35:08 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>

>   When Emacs is built with a suitable GUI toolkit, commands invoked
> with the mouse use standard File Selection dialog of that toolkit
> instead of prompting for the file name in the minibuffer.  On Unix and
> GNU/Linux platforms, Emacs does that when built with GTK, LessTif, and
> Motif toolkits; on MS-Windows, the GUI version does that by default.
>

> However, is that correct nowadays?  Or is more changed needed?

Not quite on MS Windows. It seems to use the GUI version when for example
New File is choosen from the menus, regardless of whether the keyboard or
mouse is used. If instead C-x C-f is used then Emacs prompts in the
minibuffer.

I can not either get the GUI version of Open Directory to work. There is no
way that I can find out to actually choose a directory. It is also not the
standard GUI for choosing a directory on MS Windows. (I think it should use
SHBrowseForFolder.)