gdb-ui / fring coredump question

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: gdb-ui / fring coredump question
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:48:18 +1300

 > I'm getting a coredump if I use gdb-ui inside of emacs, as soon as I set
 > a breakpoint; the basic problem seems to be that in displaying the
 > stop-sign icon in the fringe, it's trying to push more than 2 elements on
 > the iterator stack (the max iterator stack-size is two).

I have not seen this behaviour. In any case, Kim seems to have installed a
fix.

 > I wanted to see if I could debug it in standard CVS emacs, since I have
 > a lot of my own display hacks, but discovered something funny:  if I use
 > gdb-ui in standard CVS emacs, it uses the display "margin" to display
 > the stop-sign icon instead of using the fringe, whereas in my personal
 > emacs it uses the fringe!  Is this correct?  How does gdb-ui determine
 > which display mechanism (margin for stop-sign and fringe for arrow, or
 > fringe for both) to use?  [I looked briefly at the lisp code, and saw no
 > obvious reason for this behavior.]

By default, if the fringe is present, both arrow and breakpoint icons should
display there. The only way that I can get breakpoint icons to display in the
margin when the fringe is present, is to make the fringe under eight pixels
wide (what value do you have for fringe-mode?). Going slightly offtopic, when
the margin is used you can disable/enable it with mouse-3. However, I can't
get this behaviour to work in the fringe because, in this case, there are no
associated text-properties to store breakpoint information. Perhaps this could
be addressed after the release.

Nick