RE: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:40:21 -0800

    It appears that I am babbling and confusing this with something else.
    Probably with custom-declare-variable calling the setter function if
    the value of the variable has been set before custom-declare-variable
    is executed. Sorry for the confusion.
    Well, yes.  Once I am babbling, it seems that I remain so.  To my
    defense I have to add that I tripped over my network cable, ruining my
    network connection and smashing my laptop.  After putting its pieces
    together again, network had stopped working, and I suspected the
    cable.  A different cable had no better luck, so I pried apart my
    PCMCIA Network/Modem card and (after several other futile attempts)
    resoldered the network connector with a far too large soldering iron
    tip.  But some keys are still not working perfectly.

    You get the drift.  It's not really my day today.

Ouch!

Anyway, no need to feel sorry. Customize is confusing to lots of us, I
suspect.

I feel silly saying that I don't understand what Stefan and Per are trying
to help us understand, but I don't know another way to learn than a
dialectical back-and-forth. Until I see the error of my ways I'll try to
convince you of (what I think is) the error of your ways :-). I may feel
silly, but I don't feel sorry for trying, unless it turns out that I waste
_everyone's_ time and I belong on a different mailing list.