Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:26:08 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luc Teirlinck" <address@hidden>

> I believe that you were confusing with the defcustom form, which does
> not override an already set value (_unless_ the :set function does so)
> and its default :initialize function `custom-initialize-reset', which
> nevertheless executes the :set function _even_ if the value is already
> set.

Could you please take this a little bit more precise? I vaugely remember the
discussion, but not the details. It looks to me that there is a mixing of
things. Why should :initialize execute :set if it only is for the purpose of
initializing something, but not actually setting the symbol value? Should
not that code then be in :initialize?