Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 23:52:32 +0000 (UTC)

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Tue, 2005 Feb  1  13:09 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.49 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.14)
started with

    emacs -Q

I see the same behavior in today's CVS snapshot as Drew Adams, who
used an instance of CVS Emacs from last July.

First, I evaluated the following in my *scratch* buffer:

    (setq-default fill-column 42)
    (custom-set-variables
     '(fill-column 75))
    (custom-set-faces)

Drew Adams wrote:

   Upon restarting, fill-column is 75 and flagged "set and saved" in
   Customize.

Yes. Same here.  Except I am not sure what Drew meant by the word
`restarting'; to me that means starting a new instance of Emacs.
Perhaps that is what he did.

In any event, I ran `M-x customize-variable RET fill-column RET' and
saw the message.

Then I evaluated `(setq-default fill-column 42)' after the custom-set*,
like this:

    (custom-set-variables
     '(fill-column 75))
    (custom-set-faces)
    (setq-default fill-column 42)

Drew Adams wrote:

   Then, upon restarting, fill-column is 42 and flagged "changed outside
   Customize".

Yes, also, when running `M-x customize-variable RET fill-column RET'.

If I remember and understand correctly, this means that at least

    let,
    set,
    setq,
    setq-default,
    defvar,
    defconst,
    defcustom,
    set-variable, and
    custom-set-variables

are different functions to set the value cell of a symbol, and the
value is the last set in the environment.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8