Re: Some xterm-256color face colors too bright?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Some xterm-256color face colors too bright?
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:06:47 -0500

> This issue troubled me both on an LCD and an CRT display, so I assumed
> it wasn't related to anything LCD-specific such as sub-pixel
> rendering.  However, now I took the time try disabling sub-pixel
> rendering.

It's probably due to anti-aliasing.  Sub-pixel rendering is just one of the
tricks that can be used when doing anti-aliasing.

Have you tried to disable both sub-pixel rendering and anti-aliasing?

> So, it seems that the "fault" is not directly Emacs' (or so I
> speculate from the small testing I did), but the sub-pixel
> rendering's.

Or just the anti-aliasing.  What might be happening is that you're using
a very light font (at the size you're using it, its lines are of thickness
lower than 1 pixel, say), so without anti-aliasing it's "rounded up to 1",
whereas anti-aliasing actually approximates the fractional pixel
of thickness.

        Stefan