Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:57:55 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Of course the above problem will only happen if the (setq-default
> fill-column 42) happens to be executed after Helen's custom-set-variables
> (e.g. in a mode-hook or in one of the many poorly written major modes that
> happily mess up global variables).

You got it exactly right.

The "Changed outside customize" has been a great help for me to catch
those hooks, setq's and poorly written major modes, and I think Emacs
has improved because of it, by fixing the modes and rethinking the
hooks.

I can see there is a lot of followup mails.  I don't have time for
either discussion or design, so I'll skip them unread.

If someone have specific questions, mail them to me directly.