grep /dev/null

From: Karl Chen
Subject: grep /dev/null
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 21:20:13 -0800

I often when using `grep' type a regexp but forget to type a file
glob.  This leads to slightly annoying behavior: it sits waiting
for input on stdin that never arrives.  Once you realize that it's
not searching you have to kill it manually.

I think it would be useful if such grep invocations terminate
immediately.  One easy way would be to always append " /dev/null
(i.e. grep-use-null-device) or " </dev/null".  In fact, it might
be a good idea to add an optional flag to start-process so that
`compilation-start' can reliably pipe from null by default.

--
Karl 2005-02-02 21:11