etc/TUTORIAL patch.

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: etc/TUTORIAL patch.
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:31:55 +0100

I took a look at the tutorial and found a few problems, errors, and
inconsistencies.  The patch below fixes them.  Shall I commit it?

Lute.

2005-02-03  Lute Kamstra  <address@hidden>

        * TUTORIAL: Remove uses of the term "buffer" before it is actually
        introduced.  Update the description of the mode line.
        Consistently use "<ESC>" to denote the ESC key and "<SPC>" to
        denote the Space bar.  Capitalize all command descriptions and
        terminate them with a period.  Correct some minor errors.

*** etc/TUTORIAL        1 Sep 2003 15:44:59 -0000       1.58
--- etc/TUTORIAL        3 Feb 2005 13:14:35 -0000
***************
*** 1,5 ****
  You are looking at the Emacs tutorial.  See end for copying conditions.
! Copyright (c) 1985, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation.

  Emacs commands generally involve the CONTROL key (sometimes labeled
  CTRL or CTL) or the META key (sometimes labeled EDIT or ALT).  Rather than
--- 1,5 ----
  You are looking at the Emacs tutorial.  See end for copying conditions.
! Copyright (c) 1985, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2005 Free Software Foundation.

  Emacs commands generally involve the CONTROL key (sometimes labeled
  CTRL or CTL) or the META key (sometimes labeled EDIT or ALT).  Rather than
***************
*** 38,45 ****

  The following commands are useful for viewing screenfuls:

!       C-v     Move forward one screenful
!       M-v     Move backward one screenful
        C-l     Clear screen and redisplay all the text,
                 moving the text around the cursor
                 to the center of the screen.
--- 38,45 ----

  The following commands are useful for viewing screenfuls:

!       C-v     Move forward one screenful.
!       M-v     Move backward one screenful.
        C-l     Clear screen and redisplay all the text,
                 moving the text around the cursor
                 to the center of the screen.
***************
*** 147,166 ****
  Here is a summary of simple cursor-moving operations, including the
  word and sentence moving commands:

!       C-f     Move forward a character
!       C-b     Move backward a character

!       M-f     Move forward a word
!       M-b     Move backward a word

!       C-n     Move to next line
!       C-p     Move to previous line

!       C-a     Move to beginning of line
!       C-e     Move to end of line

!       M-a     Move back to beginning of sentence
!       M-e     Move forward to end of sentence

  >> Try all of these commands now a few times for practice.
     These are the most often used commands.
--- 147,166 ----
  Here is a summary of simple cursor-moving operations, including the
  word and sentence moving commands:

!       C-f     Move forward a character.
!       C-b     Move backward a character.

!       M-f     Move forward a word.
!       M-b     Move backward a word.

!       C-n     Move to next line.
!       C-p     Move to previous line.

!       C-a     Move to beginning of line.
!       C-e     Move to end of line.

!       M-a     Move back to beginning of sentence.
!       M-e     Move forward to end of sentence.

  >> Try all of these commands now a few times for practice.
     These are the most often used commands.
***************
*** 259,267 ****
  saying what the command was, and asking you whether you want to go
  ahead and execute the command.

! If you really want to try the command, type Space in answer to the
! question.  Normally, if you do not want to execute the disabled
! command, answer the question with "n".

  >> Type C-x C-l (which is a disabled command),
     then type n to answer the question.
--- 259,267 ----
  saying what the command was, and asking you whether you want to go
  ahead and execute the command.

! If you really want to try the command, type <SPC> (the Space bar) in
! answer to the question.  Normally, if you do not want to execute the
! disabled command, answer the question with "n".

  >> Type C-x C-l (which is a disabled command),
     then type n to answer the question.
***************
*** 291,298 ****
  This command is unlike the other commands you have learned in that it
  consists of two characters.  It starts with the character CONTROL-x.
  There is a whole series of commands that start with CONTROL-x; many of
! them have to do with windows, files, buffers, and related things.
! These commands are two, three or four characters long.

  * INSERTING AND DELETING
--- 291,298 ----
  This command is unlike the other commands you have learned in that it
  consists of two characters.  It starts with the character CONTROL-x.
  There is a whole series of commands that start with CONTROL-x; many of
! them have to do with windows, files, and related things.  These
! commands are two, three or four characters long.

  * INSERTING AND DELETING
***************
*** 352,378 ****
  Emacs and correcting errors.  You can delete by words or lines
  as well.  Here is a summary of the delete operations:

!       <Delback>    delete the character just before the cursor
!       C-d          delete the next character after the cursor

!       M-<Delback>  kill the word immediately before the cursor
!       M-d          kill the next word after the cursor

!       C-k          kill from the cursor position to end of line
!       M-k          kill to the end of the current sentence

  Notice that <Delback> and C-d vs M-<Delback> and M-d extend the parallel
  started by C-f and M-f (well, <Delback> is not really a control
  character, but let's not worry about that).  C-k and M-k are like C-e
  and M-e, sort of, in that lines are opposite sentences.

! You can also kill any part of the buffer with one uniform method.
! Move to one end of that part, and type C-@ or C-SPC (either one).
! (SPC is the Space bar.)  Move to the other end of that part, and type
! C-w.  That kills all the text between the two positions.

  >> Move the cursor to the Y at the start of the previous paragraph.
! >> Type C-SPC.  Emacs should display a message "Mark set"
     at the bottom of the screen.
  >> Move the cursor to the n in "end", on the second line of the
     paragraph.
--- 352,378 ----
  Emacs and correcting errors.  You can delete by words or lines
  as well.  Here is a summary of the delete operations:

!       <Delback>    Delete the character just before the cursor.
!       C-d          Delete the next character after the cursor.

!       M-<Delback>  Kill the word immediately before the cursor.
!       M-d          Kill the next word after the cursor.

!       C-k          Kill from the cursor position to end of line.
!       M-k          Kill to the end of the current sentence.

  Notice that <Delback> and C-d vs M-<Delback> and M-d extend the parallel
  started by C-f and M-f (well, <Delback> is not really a control
  character, but let's not worry about that).  C-k and M-k are like C-e
  and M-e, sort of, in that lines are opposite sentences.

! You can also kill any part of the text with one uniform method.  Move
! to one end of that part, and type C-@ or C-<SPC> (either one).  (<SPC>
! is the Space bar.)  Move to the other end of that part, and type C-w.
! That kills all the text between the two positions.

  >> Move the cursor to the Y at the start of the previous paragraph.
! >> Type C-<SPC>.  Emacs should display a message "Mark set"
     at the bottom of the screen.
  >> Move the cursor to the n in "end", on the second line of the
     paragraph.
***************
*** 401,409 ****
  Bringing back killed text is called "yanking".  (Think of it as
  yanking back, or pulling back, some text that was taken away.)  You
  can yank the killed text either at the same place where it was killed,
! or at some other place in the buffer, or even in a different file.
! You can yank the same text several times; that makes multiple copies
! of it.

  The command for yanking is C-y.  It reinserts the last killed text,
  at the current cursor position.
--- 401,409 ----
  Bringing back killed text is called "yanking".  (Think of it as
  yanking back, or pulling back, some text that was taken away.)  You
  can yank the killed text either at the same place where it was killed,
! or at some other place in the text you are editing, or even in a
! different file.  You can yank the same text several times; that makes
! multiple copies of it.

  The command for yanking is C-y.  It reinserts the last killed text,
  at the current cursor position.
***************
*** 502,508 ****
  argument from the terminal" (in this case, the argument is the name of
  the file).  After you type the command

!       C-x C-f   Find a file

  Emacs asks you to type the file name.  The file name you type appears
  on the bottom line of the screen.  The bottom line is called the
--- 502,508 ----
  argument from the terminal" (in this case, the argument is the name of
  the file).  After you type the command

!       C-x C-f   Find a file.

  Emacs asks you to type the file name.  The file name you type appears
  on the bottom line of the screen.  The bottom line is called the
***************
*** 525,531 ****
  edit the contents.  When you wish to make your changes permanent,
  type the command

!       C-x C-s   Save the file

  This copies the text within Emacs into the file.  The first time you
  do this, Emacs renames the original file to a new name so that it is
--- 525,531 ----
  edit the contents.  When you wish to make your changes permanent,
  type the command

!       C-x C-s   Save the file.

  This copies the text within Emacs into the file.  The first time you
  do this, Emacs renames the original file to a new name so that it is
***************
*** 537,543 ****
  work if the system should crash.

  >> Type C-x C-s, saving your copy of the tutorial.
!    This should show "Wrote ...TUTORIAL" at the bottom of the screen.

  NOTE: On some systems, typing C-x C-s will freeze the screen and you
  will see no further output from Emacs.  This indicates that an
--- 537,543 ----
  work if the system should crash.

  >> Type C-x C-s, saving your copy of the tutorial.
!    This should show "Wrote TUTORIAL" at the bottom of the screen.

  NOTE: On some systems, typing C-x C-s will freeze the screen and you
  will see no further output from Emacs.  This indicates that an
***************
*** 571,577 ****
  Finding a file makes a new buffer inside Emacs.  To see a list of the
  buffers that currently exist in your Emacs job, type

!       C-x C-b   List buffers

  >> Try C-x C-b now.

--- 571,577 ----
  Finding a file makes a new buffer inside Emacs.  To see a list of the
  buffers that currently exist in your Emacs job, type

!       C-x C-b   List buffers.

  >> Try C-x C-b now.

***************
*** 616,622 ****
  file's buffer.  It would be a nuisance to have to switch back to
  it with C-x C-f in order to save it with C-x C-s.  So we have

!       C-x s     Save some buffers

  C-x s asks you about each buffer which contains changes that you have
  not saved.  It asks you, for each such buffer, whether to save the
--- 616,622 ----
  file's buffer.  It would be a nuisance to have to switch back to
  it with C-x C-f in order to save it with C-x C-s.  So we have

!       C-x s     Save some buffers.

  C-x s asks you about each buffer which contains changes that you have
  not saved.  It asks you, for each such buffer, whether to save the
***************
*** 638,648 ****
        M-x     Named command eXtend.  Followed by a long name.

  These are commands that are generally useful but used less than the
! commands you have already learned about.  You have already seen two of
! them: the file commands C-x C-f to Find and C-x C-s to Save.  Another
! example is the command to end the Emacs session--this is the command
! C-x C-c.  (Do not worry about losing changes you have made; C-x C-c
! offers to save each changed file before it kills the Emacs.)

  C-z is the command to exit Emacs *temporarily*--so that you can go
  back to the same Emacs session afterward.
--- 638,649 ----
        M-x     Named command eXtend.  Followed by a long name.

  These are commands that are generally useful but used less than the
! commands you have already learned about.  You have already seen a few
! of them: the file commands C-x C-f to Find and C-x C-s to Save, for
! example.  Another example is the command to end the Emacs
! session--this is the command C-x C-c.  (Do not worry about losing
! changes you have made; C-x C-c offers to save each changed file before
! it kills the Emacs.)

  C-z is the command to exit Emacs *temporarily*--so that you can go
  back to the same Emacs session afterward.
***************
*** 668,674 ****
--- 669,677 ----

        C-x C-f         Find file.
        C-x C-s         Save file.
+       C-x s           Save some buffers.
        C-x C-b         List buffers.
+       C-x b           Switch buffer.
        C-x C-c         Quit Emacs.
        C-x 1           Delete all but one window.
        C-x u           Undo.
***************
*** 727,744 ****
  The line immediately above the echo area is called the "mode line".
  The mode line says something like this:

! --:**  TUTORIAL          (Fundamental)--L670--58%----------------

  This line gives useful information about the status of Emacs and
  the text you are editing.

  You already know what the filename means--it is the file you have
! found.  -NN%-- indicates your current position in the text; it means
! that NN percent of the text is above the top of the screen.  If the
! top of the file is on the screen, it will say --Top-- instead of
! --00%--.  If the bottom of the text is on the screen, it will say
! --Bot--.  If you are looking at text so small that all of it fits on
! the screen, the mode line says --All--.

  The L and digits indicate position in another way: they give the
  current line number of point.
--- 730,747 ----

! --:**  TUTORIAL       63% L749    (Fundamental)-----------------------

  This line gives useful information about the status of Emacs and
  the text you are editing.

  You already know what the filename means--it is the file you have
! found.  NN% indicates your current position in the text; it means that
! NN percent of the text is above the top of the screen.  If the top of
! the file is on the screen, it will say "Top" instead of " 0%".  If the
! bottom of the text is on the screen, it will say "Bot".  If you are
! looking at text so small that all of it fits on the screen, the mode
! line says "All".

  The L and digits indicate position in another way: they give the
  current line number of point.
***************
*** 767,772 ****
--- 770,776 ----

  If you are going to be editing human-language text, such as this file, you
  should probably use Text Mode.
+
  >> Type M-x text mode<Return>.

  Don't worry, none of the  Emacs commands you have learned changes in
***************
*** 897,903 ****
     Both windows display this tutorial.  The cursor stays in the top window.

  >> Type C-M-v to scroll the bottom window.
!    (If you do not have a real META key, type ESC C-v.)

--- 901,907 ----
     Both windows display this tutorial.  The cursor stays in the top window.

  >> Type C-M-v to scroll the bottom window.
!    (If you do not have a real META key, type <ESC> C-v.)

  >> Type C-x o ("o" for "other") to move the cursor to the bottom window.
  >> Use C-v and M-v in the bottom window to scroll it.
***************
*** 921,930 ****
  typing v.  It does not matter whether CONTROL or META "comes first,"
  because both of these keys act by modifying the characters you type.

! If you do not have a real META key, and you use ESC instead, the order
! does matter: you must type ESC followed by CONTROL-v, because
! CONTROL-ESC v will not work.  This is because ESC is a character in
! its own right, not a modifier key.

--- 925,934 ----
  typing v.  It does not matter whether CONTROL or META "comes first,"
  because both of these keys act by modifying the characters you type.

! If you do not have a real META key, and you use <ESC> instead, the
! order does matter: you must type <ESC> followed by CONTROL-v, because
! CONTROL-<ESC> v will not work.  This is because <ESC> is a character
! in its own right, not a modifier key.

  >> Type C-x 1 (in the top window) to get rid of the bottom window.

***************
*** 955,965 ****
  surrounding the parentheses around the major mode name.  For
  example, you might see [(Fundamental)] instead of (Fundamental).

! To get out of the recursive editing level, type ESC ESC ESC.  That is
! an all-purpose "get out" command.  You can also use it for eliminating
! extra windows, and getting out of the minibuffer.

! >> Type M-x to get into a minibuffer; then type ESC ESC ESC to get out.

  You cannot use C-g to get out of a recursive editing level.  This is
  because C-g is used for canceling commands and arguments WITHIN the
--- 959,970 ----
  surrounding the parentheses around the major mode name.  For
  example, you might see [(Fundamental)] instead of (Fundamental).

! To get out of the recursive editing level, type <ESC> <ESC> <ESC>.
! That is an all-purpose "get out" command.  You can also use it for
! eliminating extra windows, and getting out of the minibuffer.

! >> Type M-x to get into a minibuffer; then type <ESC> <ESC> <ESC> to
!    get out.

  You cannot use C-g to get out of a recursive editing level.  This is
  because C-g is used for canceling commands and arguments WITHIN the
*** 1099,1105 ****
  This version of the tutorial, like GNU Emacs, is copyrighted, and
  comes with permission to distribute copies on certain conditions:

! Copyright (c) 1985, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation

     Permission is granted to anyone to make or distribute verbatim copies
     of this document as received, in any medium, provided that the
--- 1104,1110 ----