Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:18:21 +0100

"Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]

But it should.  The previous "Erase Customization" is really a bad
surprise: it has permanent effects without asking for them.

One problem is that there is a difference between saving the default
value, and saving the fact that the default is not changed: when the
default value changes in later Emacs versions, an old saved default
will override the new one.

So it ought to be possible to really also save the "I'll take whatever
the default happens to be at any time" decision in addition to "I'll
take whatever the default is now".  And if one can save that decision,
it should also be displayed in some manner.

"Erase customization" accomplished some of that, but at the price of
being highly confusing.