Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 09:23:39 -0600 (CST)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

   If we arranged to record such a list, the only source of problem left would
   be wrong external packages, which might be a more acceptable risk.

.emacs is the _lesser_ of the involved problems.

What about code adding functions to defcustomed hooks?  I explained in
detail in an earlier posting how this could lead to problems.  We are
_not_ just talking about rogue external packages.  There _definitely_
is code included with the Emacs distribution that adds code to
defcustomed hooks.  In my earlier posting, I quoted a passage from the
Elisp manual explicitly saying that it was OK for Elisp code to do
that.

Hooks are not the only problem by the way.  Defcustoms for lists or
alists, to which elements can be added _both_ by the user and by Lisp
code, present similar problems.

All that "Changed outside Custom" does is provide a warning.  What is
wrong with that?  As a Custom user I rely on that warning.

Sincerely,

Luc.