RE: Mouse highlight in *compilation* buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Mouse highlight in *compilation* buffers
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 08:23:43 -0800

    The mouse-face highlighting of compiler messages is sometimes too
    greedy.... Do we want that, or is the intent
    to highlight only the file name and the line number?

FWIW, in my own copy of Emacs, I put mouse-face on the whole line, so it is
easier to 1) click and 2) highlight - you can move up and down the buffer
with no attention to horizontal position. I do the same thing for Dired.

This is particularly helpful for seeing what aligns (belongs) with what
(e.g. in Dired).  It's kind of like using a ruler to scan entries in a phone
book. If you would like to try it, to see the effect:
http://www.emacswiki.org/elisp/dired-plus.el.