Re: erratic scrolling on incomplete lines

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: erratic scrolling on incomplete lines
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 06:00:30 +0900

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:39:58 +0100, Jan D. <address@hidden> wrote:
> Can you give a step-by-step description of how to get to this situation
> (vertically truncated line)?  Preferrably starting from emacs -Q.  I'd
> imagine you could try setting font with -fn and geometry with -g and
> see if this comes up.  As you say, it should not happen.

Huh?  Of course it can happen, indeed it's pretty common.  Any easy
way to cause it is to use a non-default mode-line face (e.g., a border
of size other than -1, or a different font), or include some fonts in
the buffer that have a height different than the default font-size
(e.g., just look at the HELLO buffer with `C-h h').

Emacs is generally quite flaky in this circumstance too.  I avoid
leaving my cursor in the last line because Emacs has a bad tendency to
scroll/jump randomly when it's there.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.