RE: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 21:32:12 -0800

I'm not sure if we reached a consensus on this button-label question.

I said:

    However, it might be confusing to combine resetting edit fields with
    resetting current values. Since we have a Set button, why not confine
    the reset buttons to resetting only the edit field (F)? That is:

        C => F   (Reset from Current)
        S => F   (Reset from Saved)
        D => F   (Reset from Standard)

    Using the combined Reset buttons would mean we have only Set, Save,
    and Reset.

Kim said:

    I don't like <Reset> as it doesn't "set" in the same sense as <Set>.
    Miles suggested <Get>.

I agree. Here is what I would propose:

 Set All          (F => C)
 Save All         (F => C,S)
 Get All
   Standard       (D => F)
   Saved          (S => F)
   Current        (C => F)

1. Each button name includes "All". Likewise for menu-bar menu items.
2. The "resetting" actions only fill the edit field; they do not set the
current value.
3. The "resetting" actions are combined in a button menu (pulldown list).