Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmati

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 17:46:10 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>

> Since customize automatically rewrites your initialization file,
> "Erase All" or `(customize-erase-all)' means converting your setqs to
> the default values and deleting your defuns.

Is this a misunderstanding? Custom should just touch
(custom-set-variables...) and (custom-set-faces...) at the top level
(actually it only checks indentation but that is probably good enough) in
.emacs or custom-file.

"Erase All" should mean erase the entries in (custom-set-variables...) etc
for the options in the current customization buffer + reset fields and
current symbols' values.

Of course, we discussed other names for "Erase All" (and I forgot to choose
a better one here), "Standard Values", "Default Values" etc. What I wanted
to point out is that this (whatever it does not really fit under "Get All"
(since it does much more) and I pointed out earlier that it can not perhaps
always be done with Get+Save.