Re: strange emacs 21.4 on ftp.gnu.org:/pub/gnu/emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: strange emacs 21.4 on ftp.gnu.org:/pub/gnu/emacs
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:24:58 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 10:05:32 -0500
> Cc: Juan LEON Lahoz Garcia <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Am I the only one who finds himself very much surprised that even though
> he's a fairly active contributor and reads emacs-devel, emacs-pretest-bug,
> gnu.emacs.help, gnus.emacs.bug, gnu.emacs.announce, and a few more places,
> he has not seen any announcement (let alone discussion) of this new release?

I'm not surprised: it takes time for the announcement to get from
Richard's mail to gnu.org servers and from there to propagate to the
news groups.  On top of that, gnu.emacs.announce was in the past known
to have problems with announcements.

By contrast, a file upload to ftp.gnu.org is instanteneous, and also
is generally done _before_ the announcement goes out.