Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:51:46 -0500

        <Set> "F => C", and then (sometime later) sets option Y on the same
        page, and then does <Save> "F => C,S", the effect is that the change
        to X is also saved.  This may be highly confusing to a user.

    Good point. We need to somehow make crystal clear that the buttons and
    menubar menu items apply to _each_ option in the buffer. Possible ways
    include 1) using the word "All" in menu and button names and 2) asking
    for confirmation, warning that _all_ options are concerned.

It could display the list of options that will be saved,
and ask for confirmation, much as Dired does when you operate
on marked files.

    Clear All is not the right name for this, in any case. The term
    "Clear" commonly refers to merely emptying an edit field. We don't
    have such an operation (and we don't need it) - the closest operation
    we have is what you are calling Cancel. Cancel and "Clear All" will be
    confused.

I'm not sure what you have in mind for this operation to do.
Could you say?

        C => F   (Reset from Current)
        S => F   (Reset from Saved)
        D => F   (Reset from Standard)

    Using the combined Reset buttons would mean we have only Set, Save,
    and Reset.

    Any reset action should display a feedback message saying 1) that
    (all) the _edit fields_ have been reset from <source> and 2) you can
    _set_ the current values to these fields with Set.

I wouldn't use the term "reset" for these.  I am not sure whether
the change from S => F,C into S => F is a good idea.

        I still believe "Erase" is needed. Maybe "Erase All"? It
        should of course ask for confirmation. (It does not belong
        under "Get All".)

    By "Erase" do you mean the current Erase Customization functionality or
    something else? I thought that we had more or less agreed to separate the
    two functionalities that are mixed today in Erase Customization.

Yes.