Re: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:38:54 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   Do you mean that if all the bugs are fixed you will no longer prefer
   "outside" + "inside", that you will prefer just "changed" (set)?

I said that this would depend on the implementation details.

   If so, then there is no need (for you) for a user preference
   here. If not, then why would this be limited to 1-2 releases?

It _might_ be limited to two releases, depending on the implementation
details.  To me, that is sufficient reason not to implement an option
right now.

   I meant arguments about the desirability in the UI of "outside" + "inside"
   vs just changed". I haven't seen those arguments.

>From my previous message:

   I believe that it is possible that we might still need "Set outside Custom"
   after fixing the hooks-listvars bugs.  If you have set an option in
   your .emacs ten years ago, you need some reminder that you actually
   set it in your .emacs, or you might have forgotten it.  Referring to
   something set in .emacs as "Set for the current" session would be very
   confusing because things set in .emacs outside and inside the
   `custom-set-variables' form are set in the same session.

I believe that even after any reimplementation, a change made in
.emacs should definitely never be equated with something "Set for the
current session".  It is just as permanent as something set in the
custom-set-variables form.  If the "Set outside Custom" would be
replaced by something, it would be by a statement that the part
_controlled by Custom_ is at standard setting.  At least that would be
the case for hooks and similar list-vars.  For other options, we still
may need the "Set outside Custom", depending on what we do with them.

Sincerely,

Luc.