Re: texinfo.tex change.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: texinfo.tex change.
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:03:54 +0100

Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> Lute Kamstra <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> 2005-02-08  Kim F. Storm  <address@hidden>
>>>
>>>     * texinfo.tex (LaTex): Add def.
>
> That should be LaTeX.
>
>>> Isn't texinfo.tex maintained by Texinfo and once in a while updated
>>> from that project?  If so, any changes we make to that file here will
>>> eventually be overwritten.
>
> If so, this would be a harmless change, since the newer version of
> texinfo.tex would have a definition for @LaTeX.
>
>> I don't know -- but a recent change to man/calc.texi breaks bootstrapping
>> because it uses @LaTex{} -- which isn't defined.
>
> Sorry about that.  I knew @LaTeX{} was defined in texinfo; I didn't
> realize that it was a recent addition.
>
> This would affect creation of dvi files; I'm surprised it affected
> bootstrapping, though.  Before the texinfo.tex change, I ran 'makeinfo
> calc.texi' and it worked fine.

I just bootstrapped again after the 22.1 version number update, and it
failed again in calc.texi like this

calc.texi:740: Unknown command `LaTeX'.
calc.texi:740: Misplaced {.
calc.texi:740: Misplaced }.

etc...

so my change to texinfo.tex wasn't sufficient to get rid of this.

If makeinfo doesn't use it, why do we include it?

makeinfo --version says:

 makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.3

There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.