Re: texinfo.tex change.

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: texinfo.tex change.
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:28:02 -0600

>> I currently have Texinfo 4.8.
>> I'll add a definition for @LaTeX in calc.texi, so it won't matter
>> which version of makeinfo is used (I hope).
>
> Please don't: you cannot do that in a way that would avoid problems
> with versions of Texinfo that do support @LaTeX.

I already put it in, but it could come out easily enough.
But it didn't cause any problems here.  (I put in the definition
for info output, not TeX output.)  I thought it would just override
any previous definition of @LaTeX, if there were one.

>> > @LaTeX{} was introduced in Texinfo 4.7 (9 April 2004).  I'll update
>> > README that currently says that Texinfo 4.2 or later is needed.
>>
>> The change to calc.texi will still be needed.
>
> Why do we need to use @LaTeX{} in calc.texi?  What's so important
> about this macro that it must be used there?

To typeset "LaTeX" properly.

> In general, we don't want to force users to install too recent
> versions of Texinfo, so the very recent introductions should be
> avoided if possible.

I didn't realize that this was a recent introduction when I put it in.
All instances of @LaTeX could be replaced by address@hidden, but then the
typeset output wouldn't look as good.  It would make more sense, then,
to either stick with @LaTeX and put definitions (\gdef for TeX and
macro for non-TeX output) in calc.texi, or I guess I should
properly define a new macro @fooLaTeX (or whatever) and use that.

Jay