Re: Updating release version to 22.1

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Updating release version to 22.1
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:01:12 -0500

    When we last discussed this issue, RMS said he preferred negative
    numbers for the CVS and pretest versions.

    So the CVS version will be updated to 22.1.-999, and pretests will be
    numbered 22.1.-998 , 22.1.-997 , etc.

Even better would be 22.1.-1.0, 22.1.-1.1, etc.  That series has no
finite bound.  However, the dash could be a problem.  Our convention
in file names is to use dashes between version numbers, so dashes
should not be part of version numbers.

Using numbers such as 22.0.XX before 22.1, and 22.3.0.XX before 22.3,
might be best.

    I would much rather like to see some descriptive text in there, e.g.

      22.1.DEV

      22.1.PRE-1
      22.1.PRE-2

If we get rid of the dashes, this becomes like the previous idea
exceptr with PRE instead of 0.  I am not sure if using words like PRE
would cause any problems.

    Subsequent bug fixes could be named

        22.1-1

The dash is not clear in meaning--1-1 is not a number, so what is the
version number?  And it could cause confusion in file names.

I would rather call the bug fix releases 22.2, etc.,
as in the past.