Recent enabling of xassert

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Recent enabling of xassert
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:28:18 +0100

Miles recently enabled xassert unconditionally to catch undiscovered
bugs in redisplay and other places...

We have now seen several crashes caused by this change -- but none of
them has been fully diagnosed yet, as this is very hard without having
easy ways to reproduce the crashes.

Debugging those crashes requires time which I don't have -- so unless
someone else steps in to help, I suggest we disable xassert again.

Since CVS emacs has run pretty flawlessly for years without those
xasserts (except for one recent glitch), it would at least be better
than the current situation!

That said, it would be fine if some users continue to run with xassert
enabled.