Re: erratic scrolling on incomplete lines

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: erratic scrolling on incomplete lines
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:01:08 +0100

Le 6 fév 2005, Jan D. s'est exprimé ainsi :

> Can you give a step-by-step description of how to get to this
> situation (vertically truncated line)?  Preferrably starting from
> emacs -Q.  I'd imagine you could try setting font with -fn and
> geometry with -g and see if this comes up.  As you say, it should not
> happen.

Sorry for the  delay, i wanted to make some screenshots  to show the problem
and i did had time at work until today.

I use the 6x12 display with OSX.

Here is my display with Gnus when displaying a message :
http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/scroll-1.png

You can  notice in the  message buffer that  the 29th line is  not complete.
Indeed as Miles mentioned I have a special boxing face for the subject line.
Maybe it is the cause of the problem ?

Anyway, if  i am scrolling  down the message  i may arrive at  the situation
where the point is  on line 29 (the one that is  truncated in the first pic)
and display centered on that line :
http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/scroll-2.png
The modeline shows line 29, 17% to the top of the file

Then  if i  press the  Pg_up key  to scroll  up one  screen, i  am  with the
following display : http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/scroll-3.png
Now i can see the beginning of the  file but the cursor is still on the 29th
truncated line.

If i press again Pg_up i am back to the display with 29th line centered. And
i can repeat indefinitely...

I can make the same test both on Aqua Emacs/OSX and Gtk2/GNU/Linux.

--
Sébastien Kirche