inconsistent implementation of bold faces

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: inconsistent implementation of bold faces
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:24:33 +0100

Hi,

I  am  not  sure if  anyone  already  talked  about  that problem,  but  the
display of bold faces is not same between OSX and X11 :
- in  my GNU/Linux X11  display, bold characters  (with a fixed  width font)
  have the same width than normal characters.
- with the OSX build (also with fixed width font), bold characters are wider

That difference causes  some problems when you want  to display some aligned
text, or for example when typing  some text and flyspel shows some erroneous
or unknown words.

For an illustration,  i have taken two screenshots of  the same display with
X11 and OSX display :
http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/group-linux.png
http://sebastien.kirche.free.fr/emacs_stuff/group-osx.png

I admit that the  OSX bold font is more easier to read  the X11, but then it
is not a true fixed width font...

Would it be possible to have a true OSX fixed width font ?

Regards.
--
Sébastien Kirche