Re: inconsistent implementation of bold faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: inconsistent implementation of bold faces
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 08:16:03 +0900

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:46:30 +0100, Sébastien Kirche
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Le 11 fév 2005, Sébastien Kirche a dit :
>
> > - with the  OSX build  (also with fixed  width font), bold  characters are
> >   wider
>
> Actually, bold characters  are wider with X11 too, but in  OSX the one pixel
> space is preserved while in X11 it is not.

... so the _character spacing_ in X11 is the same for bold and
non-bold variants, but in OSX it is wider for bold. :-)

My impression is that many fixed-width X11 bold fonts try to maintain
the same character spacing as their non-bold variants, at the expense
of somethimes eliminating inter-character whitespace (for characters
that occupy the extreme left and right edges of the space available).

What's funny is that I actually _ can't tell_ this inter-character
whitespace is missing!!  I guess my eyes are just so used to english
character forms that such details just don't register... :-O

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.