Re: Customize buttons that change user's customfileshouldaskforconfirmat

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's customfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:09:22 -0600 (CST)

After all, I do not understand why Custom _needs_ to read custom-file
in the first place.  It _knows_ what it wrote into the
custom-set-variables form.  If you edit that form by hand and want
Custom to know about it, use C-M-x.

But I do not understand why we are having all these detailed long
discussions about Custom buttons _now_.

Following changes related to Custom are planned or being discussed:

1. Change Custom to be able to handle especially hooks, but also other
   listvars, to which elements can be added both by code and by the user.

2. Change set-variable to make it use :set functions.

3. Make Custom handle buffer-local values.

4. Maybe change the button structure.

5. Maybe make Custom handle mode-dependent variables.

6. _Maybe_ reimplement custom-file.

I believe we agreed that we should not do _any_ of this until after
the 22 release.  We will be trying to fix some current bugs that can
be fixed without non-trivial changes in Custom before the release.

Custom is not straightforward to change.  I do not understand why we
are currently trying to discuss (4) completely up to minor
implementation details.  The relatively most urgent of the above is
(1), because it is necessary to fix several fundamental bugs.

Implementation details concerning (4) will depend on how 1, 2 and 3
are implemented.  Clearly questions about how to handle custom-file
depend on whether or not we will decide to do (6) and if so how.

I believe that the proper time to discuss this in detail is when
somebody finds the time to implement it.

Sincerely,

Luc.