Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmati

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:21:30 -0600 (CST)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   > Absolutely not. `(setq custom-file "Y")' means that you want Custom to
   > _write_ to Y.  If you want Y to be read you have to load Y.
   ..
   > (setq custom-file "Y")
   > (load custom-file)

   Is not this a bit of a contradiction? I would not say that the semantic is
   really clear.

I wrote:

   If you want Y to be your Custom file, write:

   (setq custom-file "Y")
   (load custom-file)

Note:  _If_ you want Y to be your Custom file, write:

Who knows what somebody just doing `M-: (setq custom-file "Y")' is
actually trying to do?  Whether it is going to have any effect or not
depends on whether any option is still going to be saved in Custom or
not.  If you set custom-file through Custom, it is going to have an
effect in a reliable way.  (Custom is going to write your current
saved Customizations into that file, but it is not going to read
anything from that file.)

Where is the contradiction?

Sincerely,

Luc.