Re: Coding system conversion error

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Coding system conversion error
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:10:11 -0500

> I agree that signaling an error is better than xassert.

> But, it seems that a function in selection-converter-alist
> can return a multibyte string as long as we have a fixed
> rule about how to handle it.  And "converting to a unibyte
> string by string-make-unibyte" seems to be a good rule.

String-make-unibyte might not do the right thing.  It's just a guess when we
don't have any alternative.  In this case we have an alternative which is to
signal an error.
After all, this did catch an error in the handling of encode-coding-string
with compound-text, so I think it's better to signal the error than to
silently try to correct it.

        Stefan