Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmati

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:32:49 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   The question was about "getting" values from a custom file without loading
   that file. You are confirming, I guess, that there is no way to change
   custom-file for purposes of get-but-do-not-load.

Setting custom-file _during an Emacs session_ is usually with the
intent to write into it.  One even usually picks a non-existent file
and lets Custom create it.

I believe that if you regularly want to switch customizations during an
Emacs session, you _might_ be able to use "custom themes".  I have
never felt the need myself, so I do not know exactly how they work,
but if you are interested, you could take a look.

If one wants to make switching between sets of related customizations
within an emacs session easier, then the best way to do that seems to
be to implement features on top of the existing Custom package rather
than to try to reimplement fundamental parts of Custom.  _Maybe_ that
is what custom themes already do.

Sincerely,

Luc.