Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:42:24 +0100

2005-02-14 kl. 13.26 skrev David Kastrup:

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

Stephan Stahl wrote:

I reported this too a while ago but got no answer:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-06/msg00060.html

As far as i understand tooltips on w32 emacs does not use normal
w32-tooltips but special emacs frames that are stripped of everything
(modeline, toolbar, minibuffer,...).  Maybe this could be changed..

Emacs uses frames for its tooltips on all platforms. To change this on
Windows would make it more difficult to maintain, and would lose
functionality.

Are you sure about that?  Under X11, tooltips come without any
decoration and without any impact on the focus (I have
focus-follows-mouse policy).  I never noticed _any_ problem with them.

The focus policy is maintained by the window manager, but Emacs tool tips are created with override redirect on, which basically means that the window manager ignores them, i.e. no decoration, and no focus is given to them.

But the X server gives focus to any window when the pointer is over it (the window manager changes this for normal windows), so if you manage to get the pointer over a tool tip, it will receive the focus. This is hard to do though :-)

W32 doesn't have a window manager, I guess that is the source of the problem.

If users of Emacs on Windows experience similar effects, this will
significantly hamper acceptance and usability.  So I'd strongly to
those working on the Windows port to see whether something can be done
in that regard.  I can't see at all what functionality could possibly
be lost.  At least the X11 tooltips on Emacs provide no functionality
whatsoever except popping up some text in a single font AFAICS.  No
face support, no clickable areas, nothing.  So if there is a function
for popping them up in the system, I can't see what we could lose by
using it.

The tool tip frames can have any parameter set on them that an ordinary frame can have, so there is indeed face support and you can have another font also. See the tool tip section in customize.

What you will loose is perhaps international characters. Unless of course care is taken to convert from Emacs representation to whatever w32 uses (UTF8?).

        Jan D.