Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Tooltips on w32 slow and strange
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:58:23 +0000

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:28:19 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > "Emacs Frame" tooltips seems to work really well in X11; why not just
>> > make them work well in Windows too?
>>
>> FWIW, I use Emacs on Windows XP and never saw any special slowness of
>> the Emacs tooltips.
>
> Might it be simply that Windows is very slow in window-creation (it is
> reputedly much slower to create new OS processes than other OSes) and
> the original poster has a very slow machine?

I think any slowness to create windows would not be perceptable, as it
would just mean a slightly longer delay before the tooltip pops
up. The perceived slowness I think is the delay between window
creation and drawing its contents. We might be able to hide the
tooltip window until it is completely drawn so the user does not see
this.

But the other problem of focus changing when tooltips pop up is more
urgent, I think.