Re: decode-coding-string gone awry?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: decode-coding-string gone awry?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:15:54 -0500

    >       (setq output (decode-coding-string output
buffer-file-coding-system))

    And this decode-coding-string treats the internal byte
    sequence of a multibyte string OUTPUT as utf-8, thus you get
    some garbage.

Is it reasonable to operate with decode-coding-string on a multibyte
string?  If that is nonsense, maybe we should make it get an error,
to help people debug such problems.

If there are some few cases where decode-coding-string makes sense on
a multibyte string, maybe we can make it get an error except in those
few cases.