Printing menu hierarchies...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Printing menu hierarchies...
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:48:22 +0100

Hi, in the course of preparing a lecture about AUCTeX, I am also going
through the menus.  Now making screenshots (which are necessarily of
low quality) of the menus is not too nice, and when making diagrams
with one menu and its submenus connected by arrows, things get ugly.

It would be nicer to just produce the LaTeX source directly by
scanning through the menus within Emacs and writing out appropriate
code.  Doing stuff like that could also form the base for some
Javascript demos of Emacs menu structures.  Whatever.

Looking through the keymaps manually showed that a lot of cruft and
precalculated functions and stuff collect there.  Would there be some
reasonably easy way to walk the menus and just get the names,
separators, keyboard shortcuts and submenus out?  This could be
extended at some point of time to burp out a Texinfo template for
explaining as well as printing a menu hierarchy for the use in
manuals, too.

But at the moment I am just interested in getting to separate the
wheat from the chaff in active menu keymaps.  What one can later make
from it is another question.

Thanks,