Re: Suggested doc change for cus-edit.el

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Suggested doc change for cus-edit.el
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:34:09 -0600 (CST)

   > M-x customize-option RET aha RET
   >
   > says: [No match].  I do not get a Custom buffer with 'aha marked as rogue.

   Customize was designed to work on all variables, declared with
   customize or not.  Pretty much needed back when nothing was declared
   with customize.  Apparently someone decided to remove that feature.

In interactive commands, minibuffer completion prevents creation of
Custom buffers for variables without defcustom.  Non-interactively,
you can bypass this and still create such buffers.

I believe that the following is accurate.  Again, I could install this
in cus-edit.el if it looks OK:

;; 6. rogue

;;    There is no standard value.  This means that the variable was
;;    not defined with defcustom.  In newer Emacs versions, this state
;;    does not occur in normal usage.  You can not create a Custom
;;    buffer for such variables using the normal interactive Custom
;;    commands.  However, such Custom buffers can be created in other
;;    ways, for instance, by calling `customize-option' non-interactively.

Sincerely,

Luc.