Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Popup when buffer file is changed on disk
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:21:57 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>    Well, Eli suggested "sluggish" instead of the negatively
>    connotated "hung" (which usually is used for a terminal error
>    condition), but I think that is misleading.  I'd suggest using
>    something like "Thus, Emacs might be non-responsive at times."
>    Something like that.
>
> I used:
>
> Thus, it might take a while before Emacs responds to your input.

Well, I don't like that better, but that's a matter of taste, and the
one doing the work should certainly enjoy the benefits of it.

> On the other hand. I kept the "More precisely" (in the second
> sentence) which Eli suggested removing, because without it things
> did just not seem to flow right.  Because the first sentence of a
> docstring stands out on its own, it seemed no longer clear that we
> were talking about the case where the option was nil, and the
> sentence _is_ repeating what was already said in the first sentence,
> just in more (I believe necessary) detail.

But "more precisely" would imply that the first sentence was imprecise
in some manner.  I'd rather recommend "In this case, Auto-Revert
Mode..."  or "With this setting, Auto-Revert Mode...".

> Maybe I installed somewhat too early,

Oh nonsense.  If everybody waited for unanimous applause before
installing a reworded, obviously mostly improved doc string, we'd not
get Emacs 21.4 out in 2004 anymore.  Uh, I mean, uhm...