Re: Huge files slow Emacs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Huge files slow Emacs?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:15:56 +0900

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:35:23 -0600 (CST), Luc Teirlinck
<address@hidden> wrote:
>            * dispextern.h (xassert): Enable unconditionally.
>
>    I appreciate anyone looking into it.
>
> There is not much of a mystery here.  Enabling asserts slows things
> down.  I have noticed slowdown all over the place sine it has been
> enabled.
>
> The problem is that now any performance bug is just going to be
> _assumed_ to be due to xassert being enabled.

The majority of xasserts should have no impact on performance, they
are simple quick checks.  It could be that some of them call functions
to do extra strict checking of some data-structure; _those_ xasserts
should probably be changed to be dependent on GLYPH_DEBUG.

-MIles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.