RE: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:34:06 -0800

        the whole-buffer buttons are _very_ seldom used.

    We could poll the users and see.  If users generally use the
    single-item button and not the whole-buffer buttons, I would
    not mind simplifying things by eliminating the latter.

For the poll - Like Luc, I use the single-item operation (on the State
menu). I generally only set or save one option at a time.

If we used a header line, as Kim suggested, then that would be as convenient
(close by) as the State menu for operating on a single option. But some way
of letting you know which options will be affected (e.g. popup list) should
be implemented for any global button or menu, as we have discussed.

As someone mentioned, if you want to operate on multiple options, you don't
want to repeat the set or save operation for each option independently. So,
if we _must_ choose between the two methods, the global button is more
general.

What is the reason that we must choose and not have both local and global
actions? Is it to simplify the UI? Getting rid of the buttons would simplify
the buffer; but getting rid of some of the State menu items would not
appreciably simplify the UI, IMO.