Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:23:35 +0100

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:

> Kim Storm wrote:
>
>    Both of us seem to primarily customize one option at a time --
>    so it's mostly a matter of how far you have to move the mouse
>    to active that changes...
>
> We all seem to usually set one option at a time.  There is no need in
> that case to have to worry about thirty other options in the buffer

IMHO, this is _expert_ behaviour.

I think that most novice users will very rarely mix and match setting
some options and saving others.

If he is satisfied with the current settings, he will save them ALL.

If accidentally, he saves some option which he forgot he had only set
and really didn't want to set, he can EASILY revert the change, either
in the same emacs run or next time he runs emacs.

Why don't we simply introduce a "customize-expert" option that is off
by default, but can be turned on when the user gains more experience.

When off, it can limit the features of the customize interface to
those features most novice users will be familiar to from other
interfaces.

When on, customize can show you all the current features (and
perhaps more, if we think it may be useful).