Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:54:14 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden>

> Why don't we simply introduce a "customize-expert" option that is off
> by default, but can be turned on when the user gains more experience.
>
> When off, it can limit the features of the customize interface to
> those features most novice users will be familiar to from other
> interfaces.
>
> When on, customize can show you all the current features (and
> perhaps more, if we think it may be useful).

I second that. (Or, if I don't that is propably because my english makes me
misunderstand "second that" ;-).

I feel sorry to say that again, but I tried to work in that direction in my
proposal
earlier (the code on EmacsWiki). I did work a bit more on that, merging it
with the current CVS code, but I have not uploaded that. It is however by no
means finished. The idea has mainly been to hide part of the interface that
seems unusual. They should be turned on if the user wants them. Examples of
this are the state buttons. I also restructured the GUI a bit.

It seems easy to add the new ideas that we tend to more and more agree on.
But Luc has pointed out it we should leave it to next release. I tend to
agree, since I see new points are surfacing.