Re: decode-coding-string gone awry?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: decode-coding-string gone awry?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:12:41 -0500

    It's not a trivial work to change the current code (in
    coding.c) to signal an error safely while doing a code
    conversion.  So, to check if decoding is valid or not, we
    have to check all characters in a string in advance, which,
    I think, slows down the operation considerably.

Does the speed of decoding for strings really matter?
Maybe not.  We could try checking the characters in advance,
but only for strings.

We could also add an arg to decode-coding-string saying "don't check",
which people could use in cases where the speed really matters.