Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:10:44 -0600 (CST)

I give a summary of my proposal to meet some of the objections
leveled against Customize.  I personally _only_ have problems with
the whole buffer buttons, but I have tried to take other people's
objections into account (which I understood to be that that the State
button implementation is too unintuitive):

Eliminate the "whole buffer" buttons
Eliminate the "whole buffer" state message.

Replace individual State buttons with individual rows of four buttons:

SAVE || UNDO EDITS ||  RESET TO STANDARD || ADVANCED

ADVANCED contains everything presently in State, except for the three
that are now separate buttons.  ADVANCED still works like State now,
but can be ignored if it is not needed.

Replace current state _messages_ with very short (maybe single word)
ones with longer help echo messages, as Drew proposed (but _maybe_ not
exactly the same ones as Drew proposed).

As none of this is scheduled to be implemented before the release, we
could discuss further details closer to implementation time, after the
release.  This discussion is getting very time consuming, and any
details will be forgotten by implementation time anyway.

Currently, getting 22 released seems more urgent.

Sincerely,

Luc.