Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirma

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's custom fileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:31:44 -0600 (CST)

Kim Storm wrote:

   I think I have understood your idea of "typical usage pattern",

I do not believe so.  I use Custom extensively as a _browser_ and
_documentation tool_, but when I see an option I want to change and
save, I do so.  In my use of Custom as a browser and source of info, I
often click on "Value Menus".  I do not necessarily reclose them
because I still may want to look at them later and there is no need to
close them anyway.  Right now, I can browse in a relaxed fashion
without being careful.  I do not even need to worry about accidental
edits or anything.  If I want to save an option all I have to do is
check that one value and TAB RET.

After your change, whenever I want to change something, I will have to
worry about whatever else is in the buffer.  Actually, I will not,
because it would really be too cumbersome.  Unless there is an expert
option and it actually works, I would either use .emacs or put point
on the option and do `M-x customize-option RET', thereby avoiding the
trouble.

   As long as you don't use "Save", it's perfectly safe!

That is _exactly_ why I would never use the all buffer save.

   Very few are familiar with a concept that forces you to save each
   change individually.

So you really _do_ believe that this is a terribly difficult concept.

Sincerely,

Luc.