Re: Info-search-isearch

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Info-search-isearch
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:47:02 -0800

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

  >       > Currently only regexp isearch invoked with M-C-s can use
  >         `Info-search'
  >       > and search through multiple Info nodes.  But it would be better if
  >       > normal C-s isearch searched through multiple nodes as well.
  >
  >     This would be actually great, it would match the behavior of standalone
  >     info (which, IMO, is much better).
  >
  >     Is there any reason not to check this code in?
  >
  > I like being able to confine an isearch to the current node. Currently, I
  > can use `s' for global search and `C-s' (or `C-M-s') for local (node)
  > search.
  >
  > So, to me, it would be desirable to have some indication that the end of the
  > current node was reached without finding another occurrence of the string -
  > e.g. "Failing isearch in node Foo: bar". Except for being able to overwrap
  > isearch in the node (no great loss), this would give the advantages of both
  > approaches (local and global search). Without such a local-failure
  > indication, you would have to (perhaps unwittingly) continue the search to
  > another node, and then use `l' to get back where you were.
  >
  > IOW, why not have two levels of isearch "failure": 1) no more in the current
  > node, 2) no more in the current Info "manual"?

The behavior of what you propose is different from either the current
C-s behavior in an emacs info buffer or in standalone info.

The message I was replying to was just asking to make the C-s behavior
the same in an info buffer and standalone info, and allow to the user
to choose one or the other via a customizable variable.