Re: Request for site-lisp-directory

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Request for site-lisp-directory
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 12:20:06 +0100

Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden> writes:

>>DK> Hold your horses.  I am right now overhauling the installation
>>DK> procedure of AUCTeX, and indeed it will make TeX-lisp-directory (and
>>DK> other stuff) typically be set to a relative path location (namely
>>DK> something like
>>DK> (expand-file-name "something" (file-name-directory load-file-name))
>
>>DK> This is more a problem of the installation procedure of AUCTeX rather
>>DK> than Emacs.
>
> It is not only AUCTeX; I just use that as an example. I have more
> packages installed in site-lisp and some of them require a variable
> set to their location or a location of one of their files. Emacs
> knows the site-lisp directory because it puts it in load-path, so it
> could easily put it in a variable also.

I just explained that it is no good to assume that there is only a
single possible directory relative to site-lisp where a package may be
installed, since some packages come in package systems delivered by
the OS vendor, some packages get installed by the site administrator,
and some packages get installed by the user himself, and in some cases
those installations are even in parallel.  The only scheme that has a
marginal chance of working is locating stuff relatively to
(file-name-directory load-file-name).