Re: Apparently incorrect changes to custom-magic-alist.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Apparently incorrect changes to custom-magic-alist.
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:22:15 -0600 (CST)

Richard Stallman wrote:

         the value displayed for this %c is invalid and cannot be set.")
             (modified "*" custom-modified-face "\
         you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the %c." "\
       ! you have edited something in this group, but not set it.")

   That string doesn't mean what you think it means.

I believe that it correctly describes the current behavior.

   I will make another change to deal with the error that you have shown.

I am not sure that they were errors.  The whole buffer State message
is problematic one way or the other, since there could be options with
nine different states in the buffer.  Short of saying how many options
of each type the buffer contains, the whole buffer state message can
not contain full information, and as such will be of limited usefulness.

I believe that the _relatively_ most useful thing for the whole State
message to do is to point out the least permanent state in the buffer,
because it is the most likely one the user might want to change.  That
is, is some option has been edited, but not set, point that out.  If
some option has been set, but not saved, point that out (if no option
has been edited but not set).  That appears to be the current behavior.

Sincerely,

Luc.