Re: Core dumps in redisplay.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Core dumps in redisplay.
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:38:15 +0100

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

>> But xmalloc and all related routines use BLOCK_INPUT nevertheless.  So
>> it is obvious that although malloc seemingly can be used (given _BOTH_
>> PTHREAD and GTK) without problems, all uses of xmalloc still are
>> flawed in the old way.
>>
>> So we still can't allow using xmalloc except in the main thread.  What
>> is the design?  Should xmalloc be usable outside of the main thread or
>> not?
>
> The Gnome file backend does not know about or use xmalloc and friends,
> so only the main thread calls it.

You wish.  I am putting appropriate assertions in right now and expect
to report otherwise soon (the trace output is rather clear-spoken
about this).  I want to have this out of the way before I make an
Emacs/AUCTeX/preview-latex representation at a major GNU/Linux
conference Saturday and a workshop at a major TeX conference next week
without having the demos crash.  That's simply uncool.